What a week! Woohoo!
1. This Wednesday was our poster session at CU-Boulder in the Discovery Learning Center. My parents came up for the fun times, and while I probably totally confused them, they enjoyed it. I did too! While I didn't get to see very many posters besides my own, I had some great opportunities to chat with people who knew what I was talking about and offered some interesting thoughts that will impact my project down the road. AND...great news - my poster won first place! Woot. Along with a little chest-swelling pride, I also receive an expenses-paid trip to an as yet unchosen national conference to present my work. Sweet. Double sweet. A big thank you to Pat, Subbaiah, Paul, Ashley, Naglee, Ken, Frannie, heck everybody. This summer was a great research experience, and I couldn't ask for a better.
2. Calvary is a great church. In the words of a good friend, "it has its shit together." Being able to spend Sundays there this summer has been a great and unexpected pleasure for me. Sometimes when I come home from school, for whatever reason, church upsets me. But ultimately, Calvary is a community filled with people I love, as well as people I'd love to know better. And almost unfailingly, every time I enter those doors, God gives me something to think about, and much to give thanks for.
3. I had the great pleasure of cooking some good ol' Costa Rican food for good friends this week. As I've said before, spending time with friends has been far and away a highlight of my summer. Hooray! I will miss you all while I'm away, but Lord knows I'm excited to get to know Hungarians and other BSMers - woohoo! Mostly, people are just great. Yeah, we have problems. Tons. But I love people. And that's pretty important.
On a side note, NBC commentators for the Olympics seem to be complete morons. Specifically, those commentating on women's gymnastics. Complaining that it's "sad" that the Romanian team is now not as focused and perfect as they were in the 70s? That back in "those days" (um, communism, anyone?) the girls were intensely focused during competition, but nowadays they have been seen "chatting" with each other? Oh, my goodness. Yes, that is sad. It is so sad to see people enjoying themselves. O Communism, you may have caused some pain and suffering, but damn you produced great gymnasts. How we pine for your return.
Come to think of it, NBC commentators tend to be negative and terribly inane across the board.
Best electronic design feature ever? Mute button.
No comments:
Post a Comment