Saturday, December 6, 2008

As it is Advent, a good time to think

It is really always a good time to think about and help others, but Advent is particularly good because it's about waiting and focusing on that which is more important than shopping (aka everything, but especially God and neighbor).

This evening as we walked back from dinner, F, N, S and I passed a man by the tram stop who was trying to get his shoe on. His shoe had somehow come off by the tram track, I think maybe he tripped over the track or something. He looked rather the worse for wear, with a cane and a plastic bag draped over one hand. He was wearing sort of tattered sweatpants and was having a difficult time getting his shoe back on because he was trying to stay balanced upright and couldn't bend his knee, it seemed. He looked a little forlorn, trying unsuccessfully to get his shoe back on. We passed him and Fai - bless her - stopped and looked back, unsure whether to go help him. She did, and I followed her, holding his hand for balance while she helped him get his foot in the shoe.

It is an unbelievably simple thing to help someone. I think we make it complicated so that we feel better about not doing it. As a young woman, I tend to avoid contact with strangers when I'm out by myself at night, even if that means not helping someone who needs help. Is that right? Not really. It might be prudent in some situations, but it isn't right. As a stranger in a strange land, I have not helped someone when I could have - should have - simply because I don't know the language and don't know how to verbally offer help. But darn it Suzanne, help is the easiest thing to offer without words. Just do it.

As a Christian, I'd like to say I take seriously the belief that I am a part of the Body of Christ - I am given to serve my fellow humans because in serving the least, I serve Christ. Let me be honest. While in my head I take this seriously, my actions say otherwise. I am self-centered, selfish. In some sense, that is "okay" - I am in the middle of figuring out what I'm doing with my life right now, so I think quite a bit about what I like to do, what I am suited to do, who I really am, me, me, me. But mostly I am selfish and I don't keep others in mind and heart as I should and as I know makes me a better person.

So that's something to think on - what does it cost to help people, and what does it cost NOT to?

Happy Advent folkses!

No comments: