Thanks be to God.
Seriously, thank the Lord.
So this week (nay, this semester!) has been an adventure of an academic nature - yesterday I had two exams, and then two again today. This morning was the toughest: Combinatorics. I can say with some amount of certainty that I did not do well enough on that exam to pass the class. I have been struggling all semester with executing my studently responsiblities, and I've been suffering from extreme lack of motivation regarding school - regarding many things, in fact.
But as I studied for Combo and D&B in the last few nights, I was reminded of a story my dad told me about his college ski-team tryouts. When Dad was trying out for the team, he was at a disadvantage - was smaller than many of his peers, and maybe not quite as in shape. But the coach gave him a wise word - when he ran with the team and other prospective teammates, whenever my dad encountered a hill, he should RUN up it. Clearly, when you're dead tired from running, and you get to the foot of a hill, if you're normal you think "Oh Shit, Seriously?" So RUN. Full out, push as hard as you can. It's a little like ripping off the bandaid, but in reverse (but not putting on the bandaid). So in the past few days, whenever I've felt like throwing in the towel, whenever I've felt a little panicky as I think about my realistic chances in these courses, I've heard that phrase "when you get to an uphill, RUN."
So I'm thanking God this evening for the returning of my motivation, my joy in life, and for the difficult things I am learning as I navigate my own little corner of "failure." I have never considered myself a quitter, but this semester I have kind of sneakily gone about quitting without admitting it to myself. Well, to that I say, no more, please. It will take time and intentional effort to get into a new mode of doing school (and indeed, life), but I'm willing and able now. AWESOME. :)
Also, now I can actually have some more fun! Because my finals in 3 classes are DONE! YES!!!! Rejoicing!!!
Viszlat!
Oh, ps. Some interesting links from today:
On Depression and Sloth
New music!
...
No comments:
Post a Comment