Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life

So, this is it. I have less than 48 hours left now in Budapest. Can't hardly believe it! I went for a walk today at 7 AM to try to catch sunrise on the Danube, by the Chain Bridge. Turns out, the sunrise was really more of a slightly lighter gray than anything epic, but it was still beautiful, and I spent a good deal of time just strolling around Buda. I happened upon some great sights:
  • As I walked by someone's apartment window at street level at 7:30 in the morning - a nice-looking white-haired lady was playing Solitaire on the computer. (Me in 60 years? yes.)
  • Clusters of high school age kids loitering outside their school! I hung about waiting for the clusters to go inside because there was a funky sign I wanted a photo of, but I was embarrassed to take the photo with them there. I especially enjoyed observing the poor kids who were late - rushing down stairs and cobblestone streets to get to classes. And of course, all of these kids were more stylishly dressed than I was. We are in Europe, after all. :)
  • I took an impromptu nap inside Ma'tya's templom in the Castle District - this church is simply GORGEOUS. It has a beautiful exterior as well, but it's been covered in scaffolding the entire time I've been here as it is undergoing extensive restoration. I will post photos soon - but maybe not until I arrive az USA-ban. There was some sort of rehearsal in the church for a concert by high school/jr. high students, so I sat to listen to them - very beautiful music and acoustics - and before I knew it I had sort of konked out. Don't worry, I'm sure it looked like I was hunched over in prayer.
And these are just a few of the exciting things that have happened TODAY!

The past week has been quite full - I took my last final yesterday (Huzzah! Number Theory, check! And I did pretty well for watching 6 episodes of Angel the night before and barely studying...). We enjoyed the delightful tiramisu of Spinoza Cafe twice in the past week, and soaked up some relaxment at Ruda's furdo on Friday night. I also had an adventurous Thursday evening, but it turned out to be quite unbloggable. Tee hee.
So that is the short of it. I am now packing/procrastinating as per usual.
E and I had planned a whirlwind tour of Prague for today, but a strike by train workers has shut down most of the trains so we couldn't do it. In truth I am rather relieved that I've now been gifted a little extra time to get ready to leave in an organized, relaxed way. I would love to go to Prague, but that will just have to wait until my next trip to Central Europe.

Sziasztok!

No comments: